Bolney combined with other villages to play cricket as long ago as the 1750s, but the first recorded match of an all Bolney team was in August 1840. The Sussex Agricultural Express reported that the club beat Cowfold by 30 runs after scoring 70.
Home games were played in a Bolney Place field until banker Henry Huth paid £30,000 to have his house built in Wykehurst Park in the 1870s. The club played there for the next 50 years.
The Mid Sussex Times was first published in 1881 and their first report of a Bolney match was in September 1883 when visitors Warninglid scored 82 and Bolney 68.
Henry Courage owned Gravenhurst (now Farney Close) in the 1890s and had a private pitch on the south side of what is now the A272. He hosted many games against the village club.
Bolney’s game at Twineham in August 1914 was interrupted by the local squire who climbed on to a hay wagon to announce that the country was at war with Germany.
The Huth family left Wykehurst in 1925 so the vicar, Eardley Michell pulled the necessary strings with the Diocese to turn the Vicarage Field into the club’s headquarters.
Exactly 50 years later Bolney began playing league cricket when they joined the Sussex Championship. They switched to the King and Barnes League in 1984 and were champions that year and the next. They have played in the Mid Sussex League since 1998.
The new pavilion was opened in June 2004 when the club played the County Club. Sussex had won the County Championship for the first time in 2003.